I just ordered my third 1 x 4 Speed Shot Demo scope. The first one I ordered was originally intended to go on a M4 carbine build I was doing for the friend of a friend. That was cancelled but you had already shipped the scope so I put it on the shelf. Due to aging eyes I had been considering upgrading or replacing my EOTechs, which I really like, with some type of magnification. I tried magnifiers but was not really happy with the overall results. I decided to give the Speed Shot a try. Here is what I found out.
Note, I did get to the range on one cold blustery day and did get about 75 rounds down range using the Speed Shot before my fingers went numb. The range officer didn’t even come out of his office.
1) I tried to use a Cantilever Mount but could not get proper eye relief scope position without removing the rear BUIS.
2) I then tried Tactical style X-High (1” high) rings and gained the position travel I needed for proper eye relief. I have low profile rear BUIS on all my uppers and the scope clears them at the position I need.
3) At 1X I can sight with one eye or both eyes open or change back and forth with no change in POA or POI. The elevation and Illum. knobs become “semitransparent” with both eyes open so “I can see through” (actually around) them.
4) The illumination system is great. No dot blowout or reflections in the tube. If the background turns dark, turning the Illum. Dial to “1” gives just enough red to be able to distinguish the dot. I have not tested it in bright sunlight- a rarity during Ohio winters.
5) I would personally prefer a smaller dot as it tends to cover too much of a small target at a distance, but it is usable as is. Your ad does state “Dot: covers 4 inches at 100 yards.” so there was no surprise there.
6) The fact that the power numbers are on the front of the ring is insignificant as far as I am concerned. In my applications it will be all or nothing ( 1X or 4X) so that makes the Demo price a really good deal.
7) Overall it feels like a solid scope. Adjustments are crisp and the glass is really good for the money. I get very minor distortion around the edges.
8) If I have one “Con” it would be the Fast-Focus Eye-Piece. It turns very, very easily compared to the fast-focus eye-pieces on my other scopes. It also has a rubber ring (high friction) around it instead of a smooth hard plastic ring. I found that just the act of putting the rifle in and out of the case or sliding the eye-piece across clothing can cause the eye-piece to turn. I thought this might just be an issue with my particular scope but my second Speed Shot is exactly the same and I expect the 3rd to be the same way. Not a deal breaker though. After I am sure each eye piece is focused where I want it I plan on cleaning a couple of spots between the eye-piece and tube and injecting a couple of small dots of black silicone rubber to hold it in place.
Another great scope and outstanding value from Mueller.